A scar is the worst complication that may result from the acute or chronic attacks of acne. it is a long lasting event if not prevented and treated vigorously early in the course of the disease. a secondary psychological problem (anxiety-depression) can occur in young adults who might be withdrawn from societal gatherings. Other complications of acne such as pustules, cellulitis, cysts, and skin discolorations are reversible by medical treatments.
Prevention of scar formation from acne:
1. Treat active acne as early as possible by medical means and not allowing to go into chronic stage. Chronic acne might result to multiple acne formation which if treated with antibiotics repeatedly long term may cause resistance to it.
2. Don’t pick or scratch the lesions as infection can spread.If pus is present consult your physician for possible drainage.
3. Observe hygiene such as cleansing the area with soap and water on regular basis. we use Hibiclens which has antibacterial action and degreasing effect especially on oily skin.
Treatment of scar due to acne:
Scar is treated according to its extend,location, and characteristics.
1. For simple, superficial, flat, and smaller size scars should be treated first with homeopathic topical creams. in recent years there have been few of these in the market that are known to be effective. these are fairly cheap, no side effects, and can be used long term. Application of these natural remedies however, should be started when the scar is young (months to few years old) as they are more effective than when applied on older scars.
2. Moderate type of scars which are larger, multiple, deeper, irregular, and with elevated margins should be tried first on natural remedies. these can make scars better and smaller in appearance. If these are not satisfactory a more aggressive treatment is carried out. Any one of these: laser, dermabrasion, punch biopsy with skin graft,scar excision with split thickness skin grafting. a Surgeon will decide on these issues.
3. Severe scars due to acne are rare and deforming. a bigger and more complicated scar is usually treated surgically by excision and skin grafting. Repair of severe scars are usually done by Plastic Surgeons. the prognosis after acne scar treatment depends upon the nature of the scar and the treatment or treatments applied. in general the results are satisfactory with the simple and moderate types of acne scars. we always suggest conservative treatments for simple and moderate types of acne scars at the start.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.