What is the cause of Acne?
Several factors clubbed together cause acne and so, the problem is not as simple as it seems. Acne is an extremely common skin problem that affects, both, men and women. With changing lifestyles, this issue is no longer confined to teenagers. Adult acne is becoming increasingly common. in order to treat this problem, you need to understand its root cause and use a holistic approach.
What is acne?
Excessive oil (sebum) secretion that is stimulated by hormones from the adrenal glands is considered to be the primary cause of acne. Oil/sebaceous glands in the skin become fairly active around puberty. They produce oil that is meant to form a protective coating on the skin. At times, cells that are near the surface start clogging the glands’ openings. The oil then collects right below the opening. Bacteria that normally survive in the skin begin to multiply in this oil. Bacterial action can cause acne due to tissue inflammation in the surrounding area. Types of acne include blackheads, whiteheads, vulgaris, conglobata, rosacea and cysts.
Factors that can cause acne
1. Hormonal imbalance: Teenagers suffer from breakouts after puberty, as this is when hormones are highly active. Adult acne is now becoming common and can even be seen in people who are into their late 30s.
In case of women, flare-ups are common in the week prior to their menstrual cycle. Pregnancy alters hormonal levels and can cause acne in women. but in several cases, it has been seen that breakouts tend to reduce during pregnancy.
2. Medication: Some drugs can cause acne, namely, those containing lithium, bromides, androgens, specific birth control pills etc.
3. Stress: Anxiety and stress do not cause acne directly, but can worsen the condition. When you are stressed, hormonal levels get altered in the body and chemical imbalances may occur. this can then worsen the flare-ups.
4. Cosmetics: Oily cosmetics (especially outdated ones) can irritate the skin and cause acne, by clogging the pores.
5. Heredity: Acne can be hereditary. but this does not mean that the problem you have will be as acute as that of your family member(s).
6. Environmental factors: High humidity, pollutants, water with high chlorine level etc. can all cause acne.
One thing to note here is that acne is typically an indicator that something is not right internally. it is important to take a holistic approach when you try and reduce acne, when it comes to fighting acne. Strong drugs and ointments can worsen your problem, since most of them have side-effects. Naturopathic solutions go a long way in acne treatment. Educate yourself about natural options that can work for you when reducing acne.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.